Tuesday, October 16, 2007

wow so here we go

this is going to be one long mo-fo of a post, just a warning mes petites.

I will start at the beginning of my life in france, so sit back and relax, maybe take a pee break, because this is probably going to take a while.

Mom and dad dropped me off at the airport, and it was all good. I felt a little lonely, seeing as I forgot to pack a bear, so I went to a giftshop and bought myself a teddy bear wearing a boston tshirt. His name was Bruno, but after I met a man named Bruno who I really didnt like, I changed his name to BoBo. Waiting was boring, as usual, but randomly enough I knew someone on my flight to Iceland!! His name is Tim and we trained and worked together at the BandN in Braintree.

It was a typical flight, layover in Iceland, yadda yadda.

I arrived in Montargis on Monday and was picked up by the head of the English Department, Chantal Levy. She brought me to the lycee (french for high school), showed me around a bit, then brought me to a room. I was living in the teachers dorm. On the fourth floor. By myself. In a mostly empty building. I KNOW I said the same thing. I ate at the dining hall and it felt like the first day of high school all over again, but worse because there was only like 150 kids there.

Tuesday I met my contact, Veronique, who is very disappointing (and not only because she is quite ugly). She gave me a list of the things that needed to get done--open a bank account, sign my contract at town hall, go to the prefecture, and buy insurance for the flat. She assured me it would take less than two hours, then she drove me to town hall....and kicked me out the door. So I tried to take care of housing but they told me I needed a bank account. So I went to the bank and they told me I needed proof of housing, so I made an appointment, walked the forty minutes back to school, and cried. HA. I called Vero that night for help, but she was no good. I at least had a cell phone though, ha!

Wednesday I took care of my bank account and insurance and all that, and around dinner time I bumped into Manuel the spanish assistant and his contact, Anne. Anne asked me what I had been doing and I told her how I did it all by myself and was eating by myself and all that. She gave me her phone number.

On thursday I had a meeting with Vero to move into the flat, but Anne called me in the morning to tell me it wouldnt be ready until friday. I said ok then asked her where I could buy toiletries and such, so she came and picked me up and I spent a few hours with her and Manuel. SHe showed us around and such. We got back to school and everyone was like "oh you're the missing american we thought you were dead!! they broke into your room to make sure you weren't sick" UH ok. The headmaster laughed about it, But Chantal Levy ripped Anne a new one while everyone was looking. I felt really guilty--Here I was, a new person in a new country leaving a horrible impression on all my colleagues. Anne noticed and said "its okay, you're coming to eat at my house and we'll find you a place to sleep" So it was off to Annes, which was awesome because she lives in an old school farm house. Another Spanish proff, Gardenia, came over for dinner;

So then the drama begins. Anne called Veronique to say she was sorry she took me out when we had a meeting, but that she figured since the appartment wasnt ready there was no reason to get together. Vero acted all cool, then called me all pissed off. "I was so worried, blahblahblah" When I asked her why she didnt call my cell she told me she didnt have my number, which was a HORRIBLE LIE. So then she asked me where I was, and since everyone was already mad at Anne I told her I was at Gardenias. She then insisted to talk to Gardenia.

In the car on the way to Gardenias (where I was spending the night) my cell didnt stop ringing, but I refused to answer it. Once we got to her house she made me a hot cocoa, and then the phone rang. It was Bruno, Veros HUSBAND wondering why we had upset her and just screaming at Gar. It turned into world world 3. Then I checked my voice mail and it was Vero sobbing and saying who knows what. So then Vero calls and yells at Gardenia about how inappropriate it was that i was at her house and all this other stupid stuff.

The next day Vero refused to look at me, then lectured me in the car about how shes so busy and shes not a bad person no matter what Anne may say.

well I'm actually headed off to lunch now , not that anyone cares because no one has the link for this, HA; oh shit I also have class in an hour, so I'ma peace out.

No comments: